Center for Career Development – University of Tennessee
University of Tennessee – Center for Career Development
- Talk to professionals in career fields you are considering. Use the Center for Career Development’s Guide to the Informational Interview.
- Build relationships and begin to narrow your career path
- Get to know faculty in a major of interest. They can discuss career options and provide a letter of reference when you apply for a job or to graduate school.
- Attend several company-sponsored information sessions to see what they are like.
- Meet with the CBA Career Consultant to discuss your career path and opportunities.
- Start identifying part-time and summer employment, volunteer work or internships in your areas of interest.
- Use Hire-A-VOL to access summer job and internship opportunities. Attend the Summer Job and Internship Fair.
- Prepare and practice delivering a 30 second commercial highlighting the attributes you most want a contact to remember about you
- Search the center’s calendar and attend workshops or other events posted.
- Enhance your computer skills. Take course offered by the Office of Information Technology.
- Take an active role in the student organization of your choice. Begin considering leadership opportunities.
- Purchase professional attire for formal internship interviews.
- Consider study abroad opportunities.