Center for Career Development – University of Tennessee
University of Tennessee – Center for Career Development
- Would you describe the duties of the position for me, please?
- Can you tell me about the primary people with whom I would be dealing?
- Is this a newly created position? If not, how long did the previous person hold it? Was the previous person promoted?
- What support services are available to carry out the responsibilities of this position?
- To whom would I be reporting?
- How and when would my performance be evaluated?
- Is regular travel a part of this position?
- Can you tell me about the people who would be reporting to me?
- Could you describe a typical day?
- Can you tell me about the career path this position offers?
- What percentage of the people are promoted from this position? In how long?
- Where does this position lead? How does it fit into the organization?
- Could you tell me about the people who have preceded me in this position and in the department? Where are they now, and what are they doing?
- Is it your usual policy to promote from within?
- How are promotions or transfers determined within the company?
- Does advancement to upper management usually require an advanced degree?
Education & Training
- What additional training might be necessary for this position?
- Is training done in a classroom/group session or is it handled on an individual basis?
- Are there training programs available to me so that I can learn and grow professionally?
- What type of on-the-job training programs do you offer?
- Does the firm support further college education for its employers?
Judgment Questions for Interviewer
- What kind of personal attributes and qualifications does your company value?
- What characteristics are important for this position?
- What do you consider ideal education and experience for this position?
- What is the most significant challenge facing your staff now?
- Is there anything unusually challenging about this position?
- What have been some of the best results produced by people in this position?
- What are your projections for this department/position for the next year? (Specify type of projections, e.g. sales, production, products, profits, etc.)
- What are some ways that previous people have had an impact?
- What do you see ahead for your company in the next five years?
- What are your plans for expanding the (Sales, audit, research, etc.) departments?
- How do you rate your competition?
- What do you see in the future for this industry?
General Questions for Interviewer
- Are there any questions about my qualifications (resume) I can answer?
- What are the backgrounds of the leading individuals in my area of interest?
- Are there any other assignments not specifically mentioned in the position description?
- Can you tell me a little about your own experience with the company?
- Is the company planning any new market lines?
- When do you expect to make a hiring decision for this position?