Who is eligible to participate?
- We are seeking Knoxville-area UT alumni, parent sponsors, community members, and employer partners to host first- or second-year students at their professional organizations on January 7th, 2020. No shadowing experiences outside of a professional organization will be accepted (e.g., in-home, virtual, family members).
How do I apply to participate as a host?
- You may complete our short application form here. The host job shadow submission period will be open until October 1st, 2019. Job shadowing schedule outlines are due by November 4th, 2019.
What is the matching process?
- The registration process asks you to indicate your industry/job function, a few characteristics about your organization, and the professional skills relevant to your work.
- After submitting your shadow opportunity, our team will review the required fields. Upon approval, your shadow opportunity will be available for students to apply to during the Application Submission Period. The student application asks them their career interests and expectations for shadowing as well as required they submit a resume.
- The Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration will review applications and determine best matches between student applicants and sponsors/hosts. Matching is not guaranteed and is primarily based on areas of interest and geographic location – although we make every effort to connect students with sponsors/hosts, please be advised that we do not always have a student participant to match every sponsor/host.
- You will be notified of your matching status in mid to late November and, if a match is made, you will be provided with information about the student you will be hosting.
What would be my responsibilities as a host?
- You are responsible for creating a schedule for the shadow opportunity and introducing the job shadow to the various facets of your profession. The schedule can include showing them what a typical day at your job consists of, a tour of the organization, attending meetings, a networking lunch with staff, and/or answering questions about your career field and work environment. Please keep in mind that the Job Shadow Program is meant to be a learning opportunity and a chance for our students to gain valuable exposure to potential career fields of interest and work environments, while also an opportunity for you to showcase your organization and introduce students to your industry. Please see the Host Guidelines & Sample Agendas for ideas on how to structure your Shadow opportunity.
- You will NOT be required to provide transportation, food, compensation, or any overnight accommodation for students, but may do so if you choose.
When and how long are the job shadows?
- The job shadows take place the day before spring semester begins, January 7th, 2019, and are typically 5-8 hours.
Can I host more than one student?
- Certainly! We welcome employers to host more than one student if the job shadow schedule and structure permit multiple students to experience the opportunity.
The date for UT’s Shadow program do not work with my schedule. Can I host a student another day?
- If you wish to provide a shadowing opportunity outside the dates of our program, you are encouraged to reach out to Mary Beth Woodward to discuss options.