Company research is essential in identifying desirable opportunities, preparing for an interview, or deciding whether an opportunity offered should be accepted. With the access the internet provides, there is no excuse to have not researched the company before an interview.
Topics to research:
- Company mission, vision and values
- Organizational structure (who reports to who)
- Current and future projects and/or initiatives
- News articles featuring the company or specific employees
- Position you are interviewing for
While online research is helpful, keep in mind that the business reference section of Hodges library, personal contacts, news publications, and other sources of information should also be utilized.
The following links will be useful in conducting online company research:
- Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration Elite Partners
- Knoxville Area Chamber for local company information and contacts.
- Subject Guides UT Libraries
- Firsthand provides detailed information on nearly 5,000 companies in more than 120 industries.
- Glassdoor.com gives you an inside look at company salaries, reviews,and interview questions for more than 70,000 companies.
- Fortune Magazine
- Wall Street Journal
- Better Business Bureau