Some employers may not be able to physically host a student at their office during these uncertain times. However, the Center for Career Development & Academic Transitions would like to encourage you to think about how you could continue to employ students virtually. We have pulled together some resources to help. Questions about any of the resources or setting up remote work can be directed to Mary Beth Woodward at email@example.com.
Virtual Projects (Micro Internships)
Via Parker Dewey, employers can advertise projects (typically 10-40 hours worth of work) for students to complete. These so-called micro internships are completed virtually and in the students’ spare time. As an employer, you would advertise the project, review applications and choose your student(s), mentor and advise the student as needed, and pay them for their work, all through the Parker Dewey platform.
Converting In-Person Internships/Full Time Roles to Virtual Experiences
If you already have an established internship program or other experience, but are considering offering it virtually, here are some best practices and resources to guide you.
- Have interns or new hires complete pertinent trainings on best practices for remote work offered by LinkedIn Learning.
- Remember that what works for in-person internships can work for virtual interns. Consider how you can ensure best practices for internships occur remotely, too.
- Learn from publications like the Guide to Online Internships in Light of COVID-19 for employers and students.
- Read this guide from Trello on the best advice for team success in remote work environments.
- Consider best practices for supervising and managing remote workers.
- Think about the kinds of remote projects you can assign interns. What kinds of work can be adapted and projects may be new to the internship role?
- The Department of State has been offering Virtual Student Federal Service opportunities for years. Take a look at some of their project descriptions for examples of the types of work students could complete.